Loppet Trail Kids provides year-round outdoor active adventures for youth ages 7 – 13 years old. The program provides mixed-gender coaching groups along with our girls-specific Girls Rock mountain bike program. Non-binary and trans youth are welcome to join any group in which they feel most comfortable.
Trail Kids provides outdoor endurance sports throughout the year that include Nordic Skiing, Run/Orienteering, and Mountain Biking. Each program offers five or six-week sessions that meet twice per week. Three-week beginner clinics are offered prior to each session launch for youth who are new to the sports. Trail Kids also offers half-day mountain bike camps for beginner to advanced riders from June through August.
Trail Kids programs focus on general physical development, teaching sport-specific skills, and creating a passion in youth for outdoor endurance sports. Throughout the year, participants have opportunities to compete in various youth trail running, nordic skiing, and mountain bike races that are incorporated into the practice sessions. The focus is on fun, making friends, and gaining confidence in each sport. Some youth participate in one sport while other families join in programs all year long. Meet some of the Trail Kids Families here.
Many friendships have developed and grown over the years and continue on as youth progress into the Junior development programs offered through the three different Loppet sport tracks of LNR, LCW and Loppet Run 365. Our Trail Kids coaching staff is trained in sport-specific curriculum developed over the last ten years. Coaches include talented Trail Kids parents, adult volunteers, college students and local high school athletes. Meet some of the coaching staff here!
Join our Facebook group for updates, social activities, and other opportunities!
Programs, Camps, Clinics & Events
Foundation Membership: All Loppet Trail Kids participants are also required to be members of the Loppet Foundation. This can come in the form of a family membership or an individual youth/junior membership – which is $15. You can become members of the Foundation through the Trail Kids registration process or separately by clicking here.
We introduce kids to competition in many different formats but ultimately our goal is to instill a love of endurance sports and an active lifestyle. Trail Kids meets the needs of both the recreational skier along with providing some race opportunities for the more competitive spirit.
The Trail Kids Programs offer their own race series within each sport, Adventure Mountain Bike Race Series, Adventure Trail Running Series, Super Ski Race Series and MyXC Festival & Championships held in March to cap off the Nordic ski season. The above race series and events are included in each of the programs registration fees.
Not into the competitive side of things, no problem. During these events we offer a non-competitive tour of the race course, go at your own pace and enjoy your surroundings.
Other Competitive Opportunities
- CXC Youth Cup
- Skiwerx Series
- Hoigaard’s/MYSL Team Sprint Series
- MyXC Skiwerx Membership Information
- If youth want to be counted in the Skiwerx and CXC Youth Cup series overall points they need a membership.
- USSA Age Classification: Youth are given points for the place they finish at each race event for their age category. It is based on their birth date. Youth are given points for the place they finish at each race event for their age category. It is based on their birth date.
Please see the following link for frequently asked questions about our Trail Kids bike, run and ski programs at following link: Trail Kids FAQ
Trail Kids programs relies on parents volunteers to help out with our various run, mountain bike and running race events along with mountain bike skills assessments. A Trail Kids staff member will email all parents a link to sign up for specific events that are scheduled during the various seasons. If you would like to volunteer coach or assist the Trail Kids staff in other areas please email one of our staff members at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Trail Kids Stories
- TRAIL KIDS April Family of the Month – Meet the Good Family
- TRAIL KIDS February Family of the Month – Meet the Whitaker Family
- TRAIL KIDS January Family of the Month – Meet the Kreykes Family
- TRAIL KIDS December Family of the Month – Meet the Woeste Family
- TRAIL KIDS November Family of the Month – Meet the Porter Family
- TRAIL KIDS Grows the Sport of Orienteering
- TRAIL KIDS October Family of the Month – Meet the Yore Family
- 2020 TRAIL KIDS Programming Soars to new Heights
- TRAIL KIDS July Family of the Month – Meet the Ringsven Family
- TRAIL KIDS June Family of the Month – Meet the Sherman-Strands Family
Contact us at email@example.com
Kim Rudd – Trail Kids Program Director
Kim has been skiing since she was five years old when her family purchased her fish scale skis with three pin bindings! Her passion for skiing took her to Bemidji State University where she competed on the Nordic Ski Team from 1989 – 1992. She has also enjoyed racing on Team Rossignol for the last twenty years and continues to compete in local marathons. Her second passion is mountain biking the many single track trails around the Midwest area! Kim has enjoyed sharing both these passions of cycling and Nordic skiing through coaching the youth at TRAIL KIDS. In her spare time she enjoys biking, canoeing, and ski adventures up at their cabin in Hayward with her husband Craig and daughters Leah and Hannah Rudd. Her hobbies include cooking, gardening, and traveling to far off places. Life long goal is to complete all of the World Loppet ski race events!
Kim took the position as Director of TRAIL KIDS in March of 2012. Her coaching experience includes:
- Loppet Nordic Adult, Junior, and TRAIL KIDS coach (2006 – 2021)
- Armstrong High School Coach (2010 – 2019)
- BICP Level 1 and 2 Certified Coach
- USSA Nordic Level 100 and 200 Certified Coach
Katie Heimer – Trail Kids Program Manager