The Loppet Turkey Traverse 5K Run/Walk features some trails not used in our other running races during the spring, summer, and fall. Come out and explore part of the park that only the golfers are enjoying in the summer.
All are welcome: walkers and runners, young children and those just young at heart, turkey eaters and vegetarians. Whether your motivation is to win the race or just get outside and enjoy the course, join us as we enjoy the late fall sun (or whatever weather Minnesota wants to dish up this time of year).
All proceeds support the Loppet’s mission of creating a shared passion for year-round outdoor adventure in the Minneapolis area, focusing on underserved youth and families.
- New: Participant Update 11-17-22.
- New: Doggo Waves
- New: The most epic and adventurous Turkey Traverse ever! Get your bragging rights ready. Note that our trails crew is ready to try some good old fashioned snow grooming to make the course easier to follow and run.
- New: Doggos -While normally not allowed in the Trailhead, dogs may be brought into the front portion of the Trailhead (up to the bathrooms) for warming up.
- Check out the 2022 map here!
- New in 2022: DOG Wave! Canicross and dogs on leash welcome. Don’t miss this chance to do the Turkey Traverse Doggo 5K! Humans get all the benefits of the regular 5K, i.e. swag shirt, drawings, etc. Time trial starts. More info soon.
- We are keeping the Open Course option on Saturday (11am-4pm) for those that just want to enjoy following a course on your own schedule and pace! Open Course will not include timing or the shirt (but we’ll have a “swag bin” option at the finish).
- Some info from 2021 has been left below as FYI. More updates soon.
|Status||Starting Opening Day||Starting 11/16/22|
|5K (16 and under)||Open||$15||$15|
|Doggo 5K (16 and under)||Open||$15||$15|
|Open Course (16 and under)||Open||$15||$15|
Proceeds from the Loppet Turkey Traverse 5K Run/Walk benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Race Schedule and Packet Pickup
- Friday, November 18
- 4pm-7pm: Packet Pickup (Trailhead window – tootsie roll if you come at this time!)
- Saturday, November 19
- 7:30am-10am: Packet Pickup (Trailhead window)
- 9:00am: 5K “Human” start
- 10:00am: 5K “Doggo” start
- 11am-4pm: Open Course (on your own, self timed)
The start and finish are both in Lower Stadium next to The Trailhead at Theodore Wirth Park, meaning if you are driving, you’ll want to park in either the North or South lots at The Trailhead, or park at the Chalet lot at Theodore Wirth Park and walk or jog to the start line from there.
Ride Your Bike or Walk/Jog!
We encourage participants and spectators to bike, walk, or jog to the event on race morning. Extend your adventure and be eco-responsible at the same time! Extra bike racks will be available near the finish for the in-person, timed event on Saturday. Please bring your own lock.
Take the Bus!
Check out MetroTransit. No need to worry about parking and doing better being “green” at the same time. Visit metrotransit.org for information on bus service to The Trailhead.
A few minor changes for 2021 to impress with even more views. Can’t run this anytime but now because it uses sections of the golf course! In the golf course sections, please stay off fairways, greens and tees.
The course will be marked with blue arrows, blue tape, and wrong way signs.
Swag & Awards
Participants must register by October 27th in order to be guaranteed a sweat-wicking long sleeve shirt from Craft Sportswear (pictured below men’s or unisex sizing). This is to help us get more accurate shirt numbers and not over-order (and have piles of shirts sitting on shelves). We are not offering shirts for Open Course to keep the registration cost down for that option (but still check for a “swag bin” at the finish line). However, if you are Open Course or if you registered after October 27, please check with race staff at the finish line or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We may have extras available on a first come first serve basis.
The Top 3 Overall Male and Female finishers will be awarded a Fall Foods themed gift bag.
Results will be listed as available on mtec.com for age groups as follows 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, etc. We will not be giving out age group awards.
Participants who, during registration, identify as nonbinary will be listed in Overall results but not M/F age group results. There is also a choice during registration to choose whether or not to be listed in a separate nonbinary results category. At this time there are not awards for the nonbinary category.
COVID Protocol: (in person/timed event):
- Please stay home if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms (CDC reference): fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea.