Due to extreme weather safety concerns, we have made the decision to cancel the 2024 Pre-Loppet.
The Pre-Loppet event includes both ski races and fat bike events. Pending good snow conditions with typical Loppet optimism and can-do-ism, the Pre-Loppet long course ski and fat bike (approx 15K-18K) will utilize the natural snow trails in Theodore Wirth Park between the Trailhead and Glenwood Rd (e.g Bridge, Skyline, Tornado, JD Rivers) and finish on the world class snowmaking trails plus the scenic natural snow Judy trail near the Trailhead.
Starting and finishing at the Trailhead will be more ski events including The Pre-Loppet 5K, 3K, 1K, and Sit Ski options of 1K and 500 meters!
The Pre-Loppet has always been the key tune-up event for the City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival.
- 1/9/24: We are closely tracking Sunday’s weather trends as it pertains to the predicted and potentially dangerous cold temperatures and wind chills. Our first priority will always be the safety of our participants, volunteers and staff. Please stay tuned for additional race information sent and posted by Thur 5:00pm.
- 1/8/24: Due to the extreme cold we are no longer offering the 1K/3K/sit ski
- 1/7/24: Stay tuned for updated course info (depends on snowmaking progress). As well as an updated schedule. At this point, we are expecting the 5K and shorter races to all start at 8:30 or soon after (earlier than the original schedule below).
- 1/6/24: Happy New Year! We are 100% moving forward with Pre-Loppet! Crossing our fingers for some freak snow but either way we will have course contingency plans ready to go with our snowmaking trails. This race will go on!! Skiers can expect 10-12K on the snowmaking trails. For the bikers – if natural snow is limited and conditions allow, we are looking to get creative with your course by jumping on and off the ski trail for a few fun extras.
- 9/28/23: Note for the long course. We are exploring options for the long course races to start in the stadium at the Trailhead in 2024 rather than near the golf course bridge. Crunching math to see how it works with the various chokepoints. Or we will look at a couple of waves. We are aware that our starting spot by the golf bridge got a little crowded last year.
- Long Course Ski Freestyle (typically 15-18K, classic track will be groomed on snowmaking trail section and on the natural snow trails if conditions allow)
- Participate in the 18K Skate and earn points for the Tour de Finn. Learn more here.
- Long Course Fat Bike (same course as long course ski!)
- Double Dare Pre Challenge (do both long course ski and fat bike!)
- 5K/3K/1K Freestyle Ski (skate or classic) … all on snowmaking trails, classic track on right
- 1K/500 meter Sit Ski (same start and trails as 5K/3K/1K)
A Word on Bikes
- To preserve the trails, participants must use only fat bikes defined as bikes with 3.8” tires or more and less than 10 psi tire pressure.
- Tandem fat bikes are allowed and welcome, but are not eligible for awards. Each tandem rider must register and contact firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure the proper results are shown.
|Registration Open: 10/1
|Starting 1/14/24 (Race Day)
|Long Course Pre-Loppet Freestyle Ski
|Long Course Pre-Loppet Freestyle Ski (Youth 16 and under)
|Long Course Pre-Loppet Fat Bike
|Long Course Pre-Loppet Fat Bike (Youth 16 and under)
|Double Dare Pre-Challenge
|5K Freestyle Ski
|3K Freestyle Ski
|1K Freestyle Ski
|Sit Ski (500M or 1K)
Registration and transaction fees are non-refundable, including in the event of delay, rescheduling, or cancellation of an event or program. An event or program registration is not transferable to another person or another event for any reason, including injury. Participating under another person's name will result in disqualification.
Proceeds from the Pre-Loppet benefit the Loppet Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation's mission, vision, and values.
Schedule and Packet Info
Sun, Jan 14, 7am-11am, Trailhead
Please note we only have packet pickup the day of the race and you will be receiving race chips so plan on some extra time to pick those up!
Race Day Schedule
Below are tentative plans for general planning purposes. Start times may need to adjusted according to weather and trail conditions.
Lower Stadium Starts:
- 8:30am: Pre-Loppet 5K Fun Ski
- 9:00am: Pre-Loppet Long Course Ski
- 10:15am: Pre-Loppet Long Course Fat Bike
Race Day Info
Skier Race Bibs
Skiers: Every year we spend thousands of dollars on bibs and the vast majority become waste or end up in a box in a closet. We are transitioning to using reusable bibs at as many of our events as possible. Please plan to remove the bib at the finish and place it in the collection tubs. Thank you for helping us reduce waste and move toward greener events!
The Double Dare Pre Challenge
Double your fun and do both the long course ski AND fat bike. Our race schedule should allow enough time for most long course skiers to finish the ski and make it to the start of the fat bike. Finish the ski, drop your bib, and make your way back to the same race start near the Chalet. It is up to you if you want to leave your bike stuff with your vehicle or stage it near the start before the ski race – bike racks will be available for your convenience near the start. We will combine the times of both races and have a separate Double Dare results category (you will still be listed and considered a participant in each individual race as well).
Bag Drop: Long Course
Depending on the location of the long course events, we will provide start line bag drop with collection at the Trailhead. Please bring your own bag and be sure it is tagged with your race number. More specific information will be available closer to race day.
We will have a basic aid station (water, energy, and perhaps basic pre-packaged items) for the long course racers. And the usual post-race goodies at the finish for all participants.
We love having fans cheer on the sidelines! Please respect the participants by staying out of the start and finish areas. Great spots to spectate for the long course events are just south of the south Trailhead parking lot and in Lower Stadium (near the finish). You can see them twice in both locations.
For reference: 2023 Course Map
Logistics & Transportation
We encourage participants to bike, bus, or walk on race morning.
If you choose to drive and are unfamiliar with the area, please refer to our Loppet Parking Map.
- Trailhead: Lot will be available and we expect it to fill
- Chalet: Available and a great place for the long course skiers and bikers to park (very close to the start).
- Mortenson, Neighborhood, or Overflow: Available if Trailhead and Chalet lots are both full. Overflow lot may be closed if it is too warm.
- Awards for first three overall male, female and non-binary category finishers in the Long Ski Course, Fat Bike, and 5K Ski and Sit Ski races: TBD
- Age group results will be listed for male and female youth and 5-year age categories 16 and under, 17-19, 20-24, 25-29 . . . 80+.
- Double Dare Pre Challenge (long course ski+fat bike): Separate results category but Doublers are also still considered a regular participant in both the ski and bike events (both results and awards). No awards plan for the Double at this time, but stay tuned in case that changes!
- 3K, 1K:
- Youth 16 and under will receive Finisher Medals.
- Overall time results will be listed with age noted.
If you still have questions, please email email@example.com
Results & Photos
2024 Results & Photos
2023 Results & Photos
- 2023 Results
- Sit Ski, Long Ski and Fat Bike Photos – Todd Bauer
- Finish Line Photos – The Loppet Foundation
- 2023 Photos – Josh Gorton
2022 Results & Photos
2021 Results & Photos
- 15K Fat Bike In-Person Results
- 15K Fat Bike In-Person Tandem Results
- 15K Fat Bike Virtual Results
- 15K Freestyle In-Person Results
- 15K Freestyle Virtual Results
- 5K Freestyle In-Person Results
- 5K Freestyle Virtual Results
- Photos from SkinnySki
- 15K Freestyle Photos from TMB Images
- 15K Fat Bike Photos from TMB Images
- Photos from Victor Chin, Mel Muller, and Heidi Ledermann